Chainsaw Cross-cut and Maintenance – Refresher Course
This is an integrated training and assessment (ITA) LANTRA chainsaw course suitable for people who intend to use a chainsaw for business, domestic or leisure activities, but does not intend to work in a forestry or arboricultural role, or on Forest Enterprise land. The chainsaw crosscut and maintenance course is the perfect introduction for home and hobby users looking to become more competent with their chainsaw.
Keep your chainsaw skills up to date with our refresher course. You must have completed a chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting course before attending the refresher.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Identify the necessary personal protective equipment required, report on its condition and locate the various standard marks
- Identify required safety and health features on a chainsaw
- Prepare the chainsaw for use with the correct fuel/oil mix and chain lubrication
- Start the chainsaw from both cold and hot in a safe manner
- Carry out pre-cutting safety tests and state the procedures if the chainsaw fails these tests
- State the possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- Organise site safety and state the procedures required
- Identify faults and defects on a chainsaw and cutting equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer’s attention
- Select and identify correct tools to enable maintenance to be carried out and report on their serviceability
- Carry out all routine maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer’s instruction book and/or the Lantra Awards workbook
- Cross-cut timber accurately to required lengths
- Assess and explain the terms ‘tension’ and ‘compression’ in timber
- Adopt safe procedures to remove a trapped guide bar
- Handle and stack timber in a safe manner.
You must have completed a Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross-Cutting course before attending the refresher.