Ride-On Roller Course
The HW Ride-On Roller course is suitable to those who currently use – or will be using – a Ride-On Roller, within the construction or land-based industries. This training will help you develop your skills and knowledge in order to operate a roller safely and competently. Appropriate and accredited training needs to be undertaken if you intend to operate such a machine – that’s where our course comes in.
This is an integrated training and assessment course. You’ll learn about key legislation and health and safety issues, the machine’s capabilities, and the need for daily and pre-shift checks. Practical sessions will include the fundamentals of driving, as well as more technical manoeuvres. You’ll be guided by experienced instructors so you can use a roller safely and with confidence.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to confidently:
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Interpret and comply with drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and any manufacturer’s owner’s manual (MOM) relating to the plant or machinery operations and the work to be carried out
- Identify the hazards associated with plant or machinery operations and put the appropriate control measures in place
- Understand the principles of soil compaction, including soil types and conditions
- Identify the different types of compaction equipment and their application
- Identify and explain the purpose of machine components and operator controls
- Conduct all operational and pre-start checks
- Prepare the ride on roller for site travel
- Drive the ride on roller safely over varying types of terrain
- Operate the ride on roller safely in restricted spaces
- Prepare the ride on roller for work
- Select the appropriate techniques to perform essential tasks
- Operate plant and machinery to compact ground and loose materials to given work instructions
- Perform compaction activities in a variety of soil types
- Prepare an area prior to compacting
- Carry out a range of compacting procedures with different types of material
- Explain the safety procedures when working on unsupported edges and inclines
- Shut down and secure plant or machinery
- Describe the procedures used for loading and unloading ride on rollers when transported on a trailer.
- Plant safety and the law
- Principles of soil compaction
- Machine knowledge and preparation for work
- Travelling and manoeuvring the machine
- Machine operation
Once you’ve successfully completed the course, you’ll receive a certificate of competence.